I am done with Mario Kart. 3 bad games in a row.
Avaliado nos Estados Unidos em 10 de julho de 2014
I have played every Mario Kart game since they started on Super Nintendo. This is where I am ending it.
To be fair, this game does have some good levels and large selection of characters, but that does not count for this game's major flaws.
What Mario Kart 8 did wrong:
1. The minimap is not on the TV where it should be, it is on the gamepad. If you use the gamepad, you need to look down at the map to see where everyone is, by the time you look back up at the TV, you ran into a wall or something. Not to mention, if you are not even using the gamepad, you don't get the minimap at all. This could have been fixed if you play on the gamepad itself, the screen is wide enough to fit the game and the map side by side, but they decided that more people would like to use the horn for your kart instead of actually seeing what you are doing indicated by 2 tiny screens on the right side of the gamepad.
2. The camera is just awful during anti gravity racing. It keeps making me want to play F-Zero where the camera stays behind you the whole way, this one just sucks.
3. This is a disc-based game, they should have put as many shortcuts to certain parts of the game as possible. For example, when you get a really bad start on the 1st or 2nd race, you want to start the grand prix over. On this one, you need to quit, wait for it to load, select your options (loads during every transition and sometimes gets stuck on the character select screen because the disc can't find the character you want to select fast enough), select your options, select your cup, then wait like 30 seconds. In Mario Kart 64, you had shortcuts to everything during gameplay when you pressed start which was sometimes unnecessary because cartridges are instantaneous. Even if you play a download copy of Wii U games, the harddrives still take forever to load.
4. The game's difficulty is not based on skill, they are based on luck. In this game, regardless of how well you play, the game will make sure to destroy you completely at the end just before winning a race. You could be in 1st place, get hit by blue shells, lightning bolts and red shells so 3 or 4 computers can pass you. Mario Kart DS and earlier never had that problem.
5. Finally, there is no snaking, there wasn't any snaking in Mario Kart 7 or Wii either, but this game you need it. 15 players against you exclusively, you need some advantage to make sure you can still win after getting slaughtered at the finish line. I know that Nintendo made power-sliding based on a timer rather than skills in rocking the control pad and strictly being faster with the controller than others, but why compensate for people that can't do that? For the last 6 years or so, Nintendo has been bending over backwards for people who just simply aren't good at the harder games.
***6. Also, reintroducing the coin system was a pain. Get 10 coins to go full speed, that is fine, but you lose coins way too easily and the computers usually take them before you can.
***7. Also, the music is just not fitting for Mario Kart. It is like arcade music sort of. In arcades (that thing that died in the United States and was a room with 100's of cabinets of games and is popular everywhere in Japan), there is a lot of noise all around you that on your particular game except for like DDR or MaiMai or Beatmania, you can't really hear your game's music except for the drums or something. The song composition is just unappealing and doesn't feel like it belongs in this game. Also, I don't understand the freeform jazz or swing music.
To be fair, this game is playable, but if you rely on skills you have learned in the first 4 or 5 Mario Kart games to win in this one, you will hate this game. For me, I put this game back in the box and put it with the games that will never be played again. I am not even looking at the Wii U until Smash Brothers comes out.
I am sure that if anyone sees the score I gave, my review will not even be read, I will just get flamed because they don't like my opinion, but that is what a review is, an opinion and why I came up with it.
4 pessoas acharam isso útil